Sunday, January 22, 2012

DIY Of The Week

I asked my fellow sister wife N'tima to guest blog her latest DIY project! 
Be sure to follow her blog for beautiful photography and marriage stuff.
hello! this is n'tima from team preusser and I'm here to show you how to make a super simple, (really) easy, inexpensive monogrammed throw pillow. I saw a few on etsy that I adored, but who in their right minds would pay $40 for a THROW pillow, right?

first make sure you have each of these items--
1. a yard of sturdy fabric. (I used beige muslin from Joanns.)
2. needle & heavy duty thread, or a sewing machine.
3. paint & a foam paint brush.
4. chalk
4. large letter/number stencil.
5. stuffing or batting.

start by deciding what size of pillow you want. 
I wanted 16x16 inches so I cut two equal squares at 17x17 inches each. 
then I printed out a stencil.
(just go to word & blow up the letter of your choice, so much easier & cheaper than store bought stencils. )
  
tape the stencil in the center of one of the pieces of fabric & paint the letter on.


after this dries, place both pieces of fabric with the inside facing outward & draw a line with chalk 1 inch from the outer edge on each side. 


 align the two pieces of fabric together with the insides facing each other & start to sew the pieces together along the chalked line. 


continue sewing each side until three sides are sewn. 
turn the pillow inside out & stuff as much as you desire. 


then fold the top seam inward & sew shut. 


finally, place on your bed or couch to impress your husband & friends with how domestic & housewife worthy you are.

I hope you enjoyed this DIY & are inspired to get sewing!

xo. n'tima


1 comment:

Nishat said...

Aw, how cute! I can't wait to try this with words, too! Also, N'tima's quilt is adorable.