Monday, April 22, 2013

wedding season

Welcome to wedding season my friends! If you're like me and you have over 5 wedding invitations hanging on your fridge you're going to need a couple outfits. Considering I've only been to a handful of weddings in the past I wouldn't consider myself an expert but I do know a few do's and don'ts. 

Number one: NO white. None. None at all. Nope. Don't do it. 
This is something that drives me absolutely crazy. Regardless if the bride is wearing ivory or blush, you do NOT show up to the wedding in white. It's tacky and if I get a few drinks in me I will tell you just how tacky it is. My future bridesmaids already know that they are in charge of turning people away if they show up to my wedding in white. 
I can't tell you how often girls come in to my work and ask me if it's suddenly ok to wear an entirely white dress to a wedding. 
It isn't ok. It never was ok. It never will be ok.
Do we understand? Great. Moving on.

Number two: Let's reserve black for fall and night weddings. If you're more comfortable in darker colors, go with navy, maroon, or deep purple. 

Number three: No jeans.
This should go without saying but you'd be surprised. Unless you're attending a spur of the moment Vegas wedding and you are already wearing jeans, don't do it. I know not everyone is comfortable in a dress so if you want to wear pants stick with a trouser and heels.

Number four: Cover up any crazy cut-outs or backless dresses with a cropped cardi. Especially if the wedding is going to be held in a house of worship. I own several cropped cardis from Nordstrom and I wear them all the time.

Now that we have the rules out of the way I've picked out a few options for you.
As far as prints go, stick with a spring and summer color palette. You can't go wrong with florals and polka dots. Stay away from a white dress with a floral print (see rule number one.)
Just because you're staying solid doesn't mean you have to be boring! Jazz your plain dress up with a statement necklace and a patterned clutch (see below.) For a dash of texture, wear a skinny glitter belt around your waist.
For the bride who requests something a little more formal than a cotton dress, lace and pleats are the way to go. And as you can see, just because you have to dress up a little more doesn't mean it has to be boring!
Add a dash of fun with some statement jewelry. Here is your opportunity to sparkle! Wear something that pops and could even be a topic of conversation. Keep your other jewelry simple to even things out.

As far as storage  keep your phone and back up makeup in a tiny clutch so you don't have to worry about lugging around your usual giant bag. Again, a great opportunity for a pop of color or pretty pattern to throw into the mix.



Trust me, wear comfortable shoes. You don't want to be that girl who is bummed she can't dance anymore because her feet are on fire. I've been that girl so many times and it is NOT fun! Stick with a short heel or wedge so you can dance your booty off all night long!

That's all my friends! What's your best outfit advice for weddings? Let me know in the comments.

3 comments:

Shanon said...

Swooning over that powder blue and tan pleated dress from Darling. I'm loving all of these suggestions! :)

http://alittlebitwise.blogspot.com

Benlovesting said...

Ah so pretty.

Epic Thread said...

Such great picks! Love the floral dresses.

Keep up with us on...
Facebook twitter pinterest bloglovin